Skilled Worker – How To Apply

Skilled Worker – How To Apply

Most immigrants coming to Canada to become permanent Canadian residents use the various economic immigration programs to qualify. Canada offers numerous opportunities for foreign nations with specific skills to enter and work in the country and eventually become its citizens. It helps fill the labor gaps in the Canadian economy.

As a skilled worker looking to migrate to Canada, you can apply through one of the following programs offered by the Canadian government.

  • Express Entry
  • Provincial Nominee Programs for Skilled Workers
  • Quebec Immigration for Skilled Workers
  • Work Permits

Economic immigration refers to the immigration programs designed to impact the Canadian economy in a positive manner. These programs aim to attract skilled workers to Canada and fill the gaps in the country’s labor market. Skilled worker immigration programs are permanent resident programs. Successful applicants can look forward to receiving the coveted Canadian permanent resident status.

Express Entry Program

The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) offers the Express Entry system to deal with applications from foreign nationals to three major federal skilled worker immigration programs.

  • Federal Skilled Worker (FSW)
  • Federal Skilled Trades (FST)
  • Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

Apart from the above, some provinces also offer Provincial Nomination Programs (PNPs) streams. These are a part of the Express Entry Program. If you become eligible for any of the programs run by Express Entry, the first step is to present a profile to the Express Entry pool.

After creating a profile, you will be allocated a score using the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Your score is calculated based on various factors such as age, qualification, language expertise, work experience, and connections to Canada. Candidates with competitive CRS scores get Invitations to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence in subsequent Express Entry draws.

Federal Skilled Worker

As a Federal Skilled Worker applicant, you are expected to have a minimum of one year of skilled work experience. It is one of the best immigration options if you live outside the country, as you don’t have to show a connection to Canada. However, you will have to comply with the program’s strict eligibility requirements in the areas of work experience, level of education, age, and language proficiency.

Federal Skilled Trades

To qualify for the Federal Skilled Trades (FST) program, you must have at least two years of work experience in a skilled trade as listed in the program. The experience obtained must be within the previous five years. You must also have an offer of full-time employment for a relevant position for at least 12 months. Alternatively, you must produce a certificate of qualification in your skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.

Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is an economic immigration program. To apply for the CEC, you must have some Canadian work experience. You must also have at least 12 months of skilled work experience on a full-time basis in Canada within the previous three years. You need not apply through the CEC if you have no Canadian experience.

Provincial Nominee Programs for Skilled Workers

The Provincial Nominee Program for Skilled Workers or PNPs is a unique immigration program operated by the Canadian provinces and territories. They are aimed at fulfilling the country’s economic and demographic requirements. PNPs offer a number of employment options for skilled workers.

Quebec Immigration for Skilled Workers

This is a Quebec-specific employment program and operates outside of the Express Entry System, which is a Federal program. There are two steps involved. You must first apply and receive a CSQ or Certificat de sélection du Québec. You can then submit an offline application for permanent residence to the country’s federal immigration authorities. The Quebec province runs two permanent residence programs for skilled workers:

Quebec Experience Program (PEQ)

Skilled workers living in Quebec and with 12 months of full-time, skilled work experience can apply for this program. They must have achieved this work experience in Quebec within the past two years. While the processing time is fast, the PEQ program has strict eligibility norms.

Quebec Skilled Worker (QSW)

This program is the right option for skilled workers living outside Quebec. The QSW program makes use of a Points Grid to check the eligibility of the applicants and rank them. You must first submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) electronically through the Arrima Portal if you are an interested candidate. Candidates with the most competitive ratings get invited to the QSW program.

Work Permits

You can apply for a temporary work permit if you are a skilled worker looking to work in Canada but ineligible for an existing immigration program. Your eligibility to apply for any permanent residence immigration program can get a boost based on work experience gained through a temporary work permit. You must have a job offer from a local employer if you want to apply for a work permit.

Contact us now if you are looking for the right immigration advice from experts in Canadian immigration processes. SunnySpire is a reputed Canadian immigration consultancy. We provide you with the right guidance on making a successful application for permanent residency in Canada through an apt platform.

Free Immigration Assessment