Spouse or Common In-Law Partner

Spouse or Common In-Law Partner

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you are allowed to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner for permanent residence in Canada. This can be done through the inland sponsorship process if your partner is already physically present in Canada.

What is Inland Sponsorship?

Inland sponsorship permits Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their loved ones. To qualify, the couple must be legally living jointly in Canada. The common-law partner or spouse must also have a valid status as a worker, visitor, or student in Canada. The sponsored person can continue living, working, or studying in the country even as the Inland sponsorship application is processed.

You must comply with the following criteria to be eligible to sponsor your parents and grandparents for this program.

  • Complete an Interest to Sponsor form on the website of the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • You must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • You must be 18 years of age or older and residing in Canada
  • You must have more than the minimum income level needed. Proof of your income or the combined income of the spouse/common in-law must be provided
  • You must agree to sign an undertaking to support the sponsored persons financially for 20 years from the time they become permanent residents
  • You must agree to repay ant social assistance benefits paid to the sponsored family members

Applicants must provide proof of compliance with the minimum income requirements by submitting assessment notices from the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA).

Benefits of the Parents and Grandparents Program

The program’s benefits include the ability to work in Canada, get quality healthcare, complete protection under the country’s laws and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. They can apply to become Canadian citizens after meeting the eligibility criteria.

The Procedure

  • Make sure you meet the eligibility criteria
  • Complete and submit an interest to sponsor form on the IRCC website
  • Update the information within the stipulated time frame

The IRCC holds a lottery to invite sponsors. The number of sponsors allowed to apply in 2021 was limited to 30,000. They are allowed 60 days to submit the completed applications on the IRCC website.

You Cannot Be a Sponsor If

  • You are less than 18 years old
  • You are not able to live in Canada while making the application or when the sponsored persons become permanent residents
  • You don’t have a primary residential address in the country
  • You are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • Your permanent residence application is still in the process
  • You are unable to provide proof of income for meeting MNI or Minimum Necessary Income

Apart from the above, you will not be considered eligible to sponsor your parents, grandparents under the program if

  • You are serving a jail term
  • You have defaulted on an immigration loan, performance bond, family support payments, alimony, child support, etc.
  • You have not been discharged from declared bankruptcy
  • You continue to receive social assistance for a cause other than a disability
  • You were convicted of a violent criminal offense inside or outside Canada
  • You have been served a Removal Order and hence cannot legally stay in Canada

According to the IRCC, the average time taken for processing an application is between 20 and 24 months. You can sponsor only one parent or grandparent, but the name of the other living parent or grandparent must also be mentioned on your application.

Want to know more about the parent and grandparent sponsorship program? We can help. SunnySpire is one of the most reputed immigration services and consultancy. We have an excellent record of successfully helping foreign workers apply for a spousal sponsorship. Contact us now for more details.


Free Immigration Assessment