Study in Canada – FAQ

Study in Canada – FAQ

Study in Canada – FAQ

Securing admission to a study program at a Canadian Designated Learning Institute (DLI) is the first and the most crucial step. The letter of acceptance by a DLI is mandatory while applying for a Canadian Study Permit. You may apply online or submit a paper application at a local Canadian visa office.

Candidates applying from a foreign visa office receive a letter of approval after successful application. They can travel to Canada and obtain a Study Permit at the entry point (Port of Entry). The study permit’s validity matches the duration of the study program.

The study program and the institution are the main factors influencing the cost of study in Canada. You may get in touch with the relevant department of your institution to know the cost of studying in Canada.

An aspiring student applying for a Study Permit in Canada must demonstrate financial support to manage living expenses during the entire course of the study program. They should also prove the availability of funds for a return journey ticket.

The following details of monthly expenditure (except tuition fees) will help you understand this better:

  • Monthly expenses for a single student- $ 833
  • One accompanying member- $ 333
  • Every additional member- $ 255

A Temporary Resident Visa is a legal document to enter Canada. It may be necessary for students from certain countries to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa for entering Canada. The Study Permit is an official document authorizing an individual to pursue a particular study program in a Designated Learning Institute.  

International students in Canada may get a scholarship from different private, government, or public organizations in Canada. One may explore the possibility of a scholarship from a concerned DLI.

Verification of language proficiency is not mandatory across all colleges and Canadian universities. You need to confirm with your institution about the requirements of IELTS or CELPIP. The language proficiency test is not a qualifying criterion for obtaining a Canadian Study Permit. The only exception is the Study Permit through Students Exchange Programs.

The collection of fingerprints and photos for facial recognition are requirements of biometrics while applying for a study permit. The biometric collection process facilitates faster entry of low-risk individuals in Canada.

The processing time of a study permit depends upon the following factors:

  • The present workload of the concerned Visa Application Center (VAC)
  • Individual circumstances of the applicant

You should apply for a Certificate of Acceptance for Quebec and then submit a study permit application.

No study permit is necessary if the study program’s duration is less than six months. All other study programs that exceed six months need a study permit. You should apply for a study permit even if the study program is shorter than six months. You will be able to continue with another study program with a valid study permit. You will have to leave Canada in the absence of the study permit after completing the short-term course.

You may consider reapplying by submitting a new application.

International students can work during the study program to gain exposure to Canadian culture and work experience. It also helps the student earn money to support expenses. The student must have a valid study permit for a full-time study program. One can work up to 20 hours during the sessions. They can also work full-time during long breaks or holidays. There are different criteria for on-campus and off-campus working.

International students can explore opportunities to settle in Canada after graduation from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI). You need to obtain an Open Work Permit by applying for the Post Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). The duration of the PGWPP is for the period equal to your study program. You can apply for permanent residency by acquiring Canadian work experience during the period.

The decision to conduct a medical exam is at the discretion of the visa officer.

A police clearance certificate may be necessary to determine the risk potential of the applicant to the people in Canada. The visa officer may ask for a police clearance certificate to prove that the candidate has no police record.

There is no need to obtain a new study permit after changing the institution. The student must notify Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship (IRCC) about such change and update the online account. You will also have to update the records if you change the level of study. A new study permit may be essential if the student changes to a college or university in Quebec. In this case, you will need to obtain a Certificate of Acceptance.

A study permit application can include an accompanying spouse or a common-law partner. The study program must be a full-time post-secondary course. The spouse or common-law partner can obtain an Open Work Permit and work for any employer and at any location. The spouse will have to submit a study permit application inside Canada if they plan to study.

Yes, dependent children may accompany a student to Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa or an eTA.

The accompanying child of an international student may not require a separate study permit to pursue studies. The applicant needs to indicate that the child will be studying while filling out the application for a study permit. The study permit is a must if the child crosses 18 years of age and becomes major.

Exploring Canada before the actual study program begins is a helpful approach. You may require an eTA or a Temporary Resident Visa to come to Canada as a visitor.

A study permit application must accompany all necessary documents because the decision on the application depends on the complete and correct submission. The visa officer may ask you to submit if any document is missing. You need to gather all documents before filling out the application form.

The age of the majority is 18 or 19 years in Canada according to different provincial rules. A minor child can study in Canada till the age of majority only if the child is living with parents, a legal guardian, or a custodian. If the parents cannot accompany the child in Canada, then a custodian can ensure the minor’s wellbeing.

 A child in Canada can study before the age of majority by staying with a custodian, provided the visa officer is sure of the child’s wellbeing. Minors coming to Canada without a parent or legal guardian should submit a custodianship form with the application for a study permit. The application form needs notarization and the signatures of a parent, legal guardian, and custodian.

Since a distance learning program does not require a student to be physically present in Canada, there is no provision of a Study Permit. A study permit is applicable if a distance learning program exceeds six months with an in-Canada portion. The validity of such a study permit will be only for the duration of the in-Canada portion of the study program.

Canadian education and work experience qualify international students to participate in Express Entry draw to accelerate immigration. They can choose from several provincial and federal programs to settle in Canada permanently.

Students from China and India can expect to streamline the process of their visa applications through the Student Partners Program (SPP). It is an administrative platform involving Colleges and Institutes Canada (CICan) and IRCC.

Free Immigration Assessment